Africa Trip – Nairobi – Wednesday, July 2


Africa Trip – New York – Friday, June 20
Africa Trip – Nairobi – Saturday, June 21
Africa Trip – Nairobi – Sunday, June 22
Africa Trip – Naomi’s Village – Monday, June 23
Africa Trip – Naomi’s Village – Tuesday, June 24
Africa Trip – Naomi’s Village – Wednesday, June 25
Africa Trip – Naomi’s Village – Thursday, June 26
Africa Trip – Naomi’s Village – Friday, June 27
Africa Trip – Naomi’s Village – Saturday, June 28
Africa Trip – Naomi’s Village – Sunday, June 29
Africa Trip – Masai Mara- Monday, June 30
Africa Trip – Safari – Tuesday, July 1
Africa Trip – Nairobi – Wednesday, July 2
Africa Trip – Egypt – Thursday, July 3
Africa Trip – London – Friday, July 4
Africa Trip – New York – Saturday, July 5
Africa Trip – New York – Sunday, July 6

Africa Trip – Nairobi – Wednesday, July 2

Today we had an early morning game drive, starting at 6:15, and it was well worth it. It was a beautiful, chilly morning. We saw 6 hot air balloons take off to safari. We saw much of the same, but the highlight was watching a pride of 12 lions, including 5 cubs. When the drivers spotted animals, they would get really close to them. This time, they got really close to a male lion as he was on the prowl. He walked right in front of one of the jeeps and peed on the front bumper. A little bit later, we found the female lions and cubs. We watched them finish off a wildebeest, play and lounge around. When the jeep moved and wasn’t downwind anymore, they all perked up. They smelled the other lion. The pride of 9, all came over to the jeep and smelled the front bumper. They were a little confused, but eventually started walking towards the male lions. We followed them for a while and then returned to the hotel for breakfast. After breakfast, it was time to head back to Nairobi. The group had a late flight home. The trip was long and bumpy. We got in some heavy traffic and the ride took 7 hours. One of the jeeps broke their drive shaft as we were almost there, so we waited around on the side of the road for them to disconnect it so we could continue in front-wheel-drive. Once again, we got to see how the Kenyan people just do what needs to be done, they don’t have triple A, they just got under the truck in the middle of the road and took off a giant piece of the car. We finally made it to the meetup point with the Henry’s (they didn’t go on the safari with us). The Newhouse’s said goodbye to the group, as we had different plans. Our flight left Nairobi at 4:30am. We said quick goodbyes and took a cab to downtown and checked into the Hilton. Traffic was horrible, once again.  The security at the Hilton was heavy. You couldn’t drive up to the entrance without a full car search. They even checked in the engine and under the car with mirrors. We also had to send our bags through security scanners and go through metal detectors to enter the hotel. The hotel was very nice. We ate in the lounge and got our first real Diet Cokes of the trip. We also had the best shower of the trip. We felt like we were covered in dirt and exhaust the entire trip. I had to go get money from an ATM. The hotel didn’t have one, so the bell boy escorted me around the block to get cash. He said you don’t want to be in downtown Nairobi at night. Our window looked out onto the city, it was hoppin. There were tons of people out on the streets. We went to sleep early as we had to wake up at 1:30 to begin our journey home.

IMG_1411IMG_0151  IMG_0157 IMG_0183 IMG_0191 IMG_0196 IMG_0203 IMG_0208 IMG_0215  IMG_1434IMG_1455

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s