New York and Cleveland

May 22-25, 2105

We like to take a family trip for our 3-day Memorial Day weekend. This year, the Rangers just happened to be playing the Yankees in New York so we thought it would make for a good trip. I can’t just go and do one thing, I have to try to add as much as possible.

We left right after school and rushed to Love Field. We flew Southwest and arrived at Laguardia around 10 p.m. We Uber’d to the Conrad on the south side of Manhattan. It was right in the shadows of the Freedom Tower, which replaced the World Trade Center twin towers. The Conrad is a very nice, all-suites hotel. The rooms were large for a New York hotel. We normally stay in mid-town, but thought it would be good to try something different. The hotel has a rooftop bar with views of the Statue of Liberty. We could have had a view of her from our room, but I opted for a room with two beds. I thought the service at the hotel was not up to Conrad standards, but the free breakfast was fantastic. The first morning, after breakfast, we walked around the Freedom Tower, then we walked beside the river to see the Statue of Liberty. After that, we split up.



Trey and I took the subway to Yankee Stadium to see the Rangers. We got there early. We were hoping to see batting practice, but they didn’t take it. Trey did get an autograph from the Yankees closer, Andrew Miller. Yankee Stadium is a really expensive ticket. They don’t allow fans access to the lower deck to get ball or autographs. I texted Blake, and he said he was there. He called me before the game and had some better seat for us. We moved from the outfield bleachers to 2nd level behind the Rangers dugout. The game was good for the Rangers, as we won 15-2, and the weather was perfect.

IMG_0021 IMG_0025 IMG_0028 IMG_0033 IMG_0035 IMG_0036 IMG_0037 IMG_0039 IMG_0040 IMG_0052 IMG_0054 IMG_0055 IMG_0058

Susan and Natalie went into midtown to waste some time before going to see the musical Matilda. They saw Lisa Ling in the restroom at break, she was seeing the show with her daughter.  They had great seats, 5th row.  The show was cute, but what was most amazing was how talented the kids were.

IMG_3820 IMG_3818 IMG_3821

We met up, after our events, at Rockefeller Center. The girls had some Magnolia Bakery cupcakes waiting on us. Their Red Velvet cupcakes are my favorite cupcake ever.  We walked the city, weaving our way to the Empire State Building. Natalie informed us that she had never been up it and she wanted to “cross that off her bucket list”. On the way there, we were just talking about baseball, and I look up and the two people walking ahead of us were Ranger players, Colby Lewis and Mitch Moreland. I told Mitch “good game” and he said “thanks”. We didn’t want to bother them for pictures or autographs. We finally got to the Empire State Building and got suckered into purchasing a “VIP” tour. It included the Sky Ride, which is the lamest ride ever, and tickets to go up to the observation deck. We were pretty mad at ourselves for falling for their scheme. I’m going to report it as fraudulent activity to AMEX and see if they will not pay them. On top of the building was beautiful. The weather was clear and not very windy. We could have waited another 45 minutes to see the sunset, but we were ready to go.

empire emp5

We walked some more to Eataly. We were hoping to have dinner, but the wait was two hours. We decided to go back to the hotel. We got Shake Shack, which was attached to our hotel, and ate it in our room. We were asleep by 10p.m. Trey had a rough night because he got sick a few times.

IMG_0062 IMG_0065 IMG_0067 IMG_0069 IMG_0072

After breakfast the next morning, we started walking. We went to Wall Street, the East River, then walked across part of the Brooklyn Bridge (it was really crowded).  After that, we walked through China Town and grabbed pizza in Little Italy. We finished our morning walk at the MLB fan cave, which was closed. We uber’d back to the Conrad, got our stuff and then uber’d to the Waldorf. The girls would be staying in a suite at the famed Waldorf Astoria. After we got the room, we explored the hotel and it’s ballrooms. Next, we walked to Central Park. Trey and I played some catch and we all relaxed a bit on the grass. We then walked back to the hotel via Broadway. I got a deli sandwich and black and white cookie for dinner.

IMG_0018IMG_0082 IMG_0088 IMG_0091 IMG_0093 IMG_0095 IMG_0098 IMG_0100 IMG_0102 IMG_0104 IMG_0106 IMG_0107 IMG_0109 IMG_0111 IMG_0114 IMG_0117 IMG_0118 IMG_0119 IMG_0120 IMG_0123

Trey and I hung out in the room for an hour and then we uber’d to Laguardia. We hung out in the Centurion Lounge before catching a flight to Akron Ohio. We arrived late, and went straight to bed.

IMG_0127 IMG_0131

Susan and Natalie got ready for night on the town in NYC. They ate at Melt, which is a fancy grilled cheese place. Then they we to watch Gigi, staring Vanessa Hudgens. They liked the show, but were more excited about getting to meet Vanessa after the show. Natalie’s church friends were having a slumber party and happened to call while they were talking to her. They were able to see Vanessa through facetime and she spoke to them briefly. They thought that was cool.IMG_3852IMG_3853IMG_3856

IMG_3866 IMG_3864

The next morning, the girls went shopping at Century 21 and walked through the city until time to go back to the hotel.  The girls had a late flight back to Love Field.

Trey and I went to the football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. It was much better than I thought it’d be.

IMG_0133 IMG_0138 IMG_0141 IMG_0144 IMG_0153 IMG_0155 IMG_0156 IMG_0159

Then, we drove to Cleveland to watch the Rangers play the Indians. This time, they did have batting practice. We didn’t catch a ball, but Trey ended up getting 4 ball thrown to him by players. He also got lots of Ranger autographs for his collection. Progressive field is probably one of our favorites. The fans were really welcoming to us too. Our sees were great, 9 rows behind the Rangers dugout. We had to leave the game early to catch our flight.

IMG_0173 IMG_0177 IMG_0181  IMG_0197 IMG_0204  IMG_0207 IMG_0208 IMG_0211

We uber’d to the airport and flew home to DFW. This was the weirdest uber experience that we have ever had. Basically a hispanic family picked us up in a ragged out minivan. They didn’t know how to get to the airport. I finally just had to tell them to follow the signs. Susan and Natalie were flying into Love field, where we left our car, and would pick us up at the airport.  We had to wait for them for about an hour and a half, because they thought we were landing an hour later than them.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s