Phoenix – Spring Training

2/23 – 2/25/17

Trey and I kept the Spring Training tradition alive by taking a quick weekend trip. The Losher boys couldn’t go this year, so it was just the two of us. We left late on Thursday night and returned late Saturday night, so we’d have 2 days of baseball. We had a 9 pm flight out on Southwest. Everything was smooth, we got a car and checked into our hotel and were in bed by 12:30. We were staying on points at a place that was new to us, the Hilton Tapitio Springs. It was kind of an odd, aging resort cut into a mountain side. The room was spacious and the breakfast was great. We didn’t get to take advantage of the main pool area because it closed everyday by 5 pm.
On Friday, we got up, had breakfast, and headed to Surprise for the Rangers spring training. We watched practice for a few hours and Trey got a few autographs. We let for a little while and went to the Royals side and then drove to Freddy’s for burgers and custard (our favorite). We then went back to the Rangers side, because they were having an intersquad game. As soon as we got there, cousin Blake came up to us and asked Trey to leave his stuff with me and follow him. Blake took him to the Rangers dugout and let him be the batboy for about 3 innings. Trey had a blast bringing baseballs to the umpire, picking up the players bats and even getting the batting pads from the players on first base. This was definitely a highlight for Trey getting to be so close to the players and in the dugout. When the game ended, he even got to keep one of the players broken bats. After that, we went to Peroria to the Mariners and Padres camp. We got to go inside for about 10 minutes until practice was over and they kicked us out. Then, we walked around the outside of the park looking for baseballs. That night, we got in the hot tub at the hotel, right outside our room. We had dinner at Chino Bandido. I had head about it before and it was really good. It was a part Chinese, part Mexican food place.

Saturday, we got up early and had breakfast at the hotel again, before heading to Surprise. We hung around the Rangers camp and watched practice all morning. When they started taking batting practice, I went outside to try to snag some homerun balls. I ended up getting 13 balls in about an hour. Trey stayed behind and got autographs from Cole Hamels, Mike Napoli, Ryan Rua and others (Puello). The camp shut down at about 1 and the Rangers first Spring Training game started a little later against the Royals. Blake got us some really good seats behind home plate. We got our first hot dogs of the year and watched the game. We had to leave early to catch our flight home. At the airport, we walked several miles as I was trying to find this place that sells awesome cookies that I had bought before. I never found the place!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s